Spinach Saute

Prep time :10 min
Cook time :15 min
Ready in :25 min

Makes : 4 servings

Ingredients
  • 2 tbs of cooking oil
  • 1 medium red onion, cut thinly lengthwise
  • 12 oz spinach ( 1 small bag )
  • 1-2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
  • Salt to taste
You will also need
  • A large pan

Procedure
  • Wash and roughly chop the spinach
  • Set the skillet in high heat, and add the oil
  • When the oil is hot, add the onion slices and the slit green chillies and and wait for them to brown, turning slightly with a spatula
  • Add the chopped up the spinach
  • Add salt
  • It will take about 10 min of high heat for the water content to dry up. Turn with a spatula till it starts getting slightly crisp.
  • Remove from heat
Afterthoughts: I enjoyed this saute with some Rice and Yogurt today. I think it will also make a great side for Indian breads like Roti or make a nice sandwich with toasted-bread and some melted cheese.

3 comments:

Gingerbread & Me said...

:)
And finally, a recipe!!!
Yay....
I use garlic also when I do the spinach saute...Chopped garlic goes in first and then the onion and chilly slivers....
:)

trueblue said...

OOps ! I am so sorry about the rather long break .. The whole family just recovered from a long stretch of fever and related ailments !

And yess! I do the garlic too at times.. Actually thats another version of the same thing, only I like to add some corn kernels also ...and it the yummiest saute to go with rotis.

Unknown said...

I never thought to add chilis. I saute garlic and whole spinach in olive oil all the time, but not with onion.

One thing which is similar is my version of "habichuelas verde seco" (dry green beans) which is one of the few ways the Cubans I know each a green vegetable. Sautee green beans dry in a pan with olive oil and several cloves of garlic.....like 10. cook until the beans are slightly shriveled. yum.

Post a Comment