Coleslaw & A Yummy Sandwich

I just gobbled up what you are seeing in the picture .. It looks a plain-jane plate , but I must say, it IS one super-duper sandwich once you take a bite !
Coleslaw is my favorite summer-salad.. Well! I do make it in all seasons , but when I think of Coleslaw , summer BBQs comes to my mind ... and in winter I make it just to re-live those summer moments . I do make some other versions of it too , and I will post them in due course of time (... well, that is as soon as the grill is fired up next !)

Now that we are talking about this much savored salad, and if you feel like reading a bit more on who made it first , or the different variants of it , or how the name came to be... Click here;
Wiki has an entire page on it :)

In the meantime, here is the recipe:
(makes 4 servings)

Ingredients:
1 cup shredded Cabbage
1/4 cup grated Carrot ( optional)
1/4 cup minced Celery
1/4 cup Alfalfa Sprouts (optional)
1/4 cup Raisins ( or dried Cranberries)
1/4 cup chopped Cashew-nuts ( or pecans , again optional... i love the crunch it gives!)

2 tbs of Mayonnaise
1 tbs of Cream Cheese
1 tsp sugar
A pinch of black-pepper powder
A pinch of salt

How to go about :
  • In a medium bowl combine the Cream Cheese, Mayonnaise, Salt , Pepper and Sugar
  • Toss in all the other ingredients (mentioned above) and mix well
....and Voila !!
To make the sandwich: Toast Bread , slather a lavish spoon of the slaw on one side and top with another slice of bread . Yumm... !! I have noticed that if stored in a sealed container and refrigerated , this coleslaw keeps well for at-least another day . More tips on storing coleslaw.

This salad is a great way to incorporate something as nutritious as Alfalfa Sprouts.
Please note that the nutrition data I have provided is approximate and for 1 serving, and is calculated with all the ingredients listed above.

Happy Summer Meals to you !

9 comments:

Jacob M said...

Husband Certified recipe! :-)
~joe

Unknown said...

ROFL! I am assuming, Joe, since you did your stint at W & M that you are familiar with Pierces Pit Barbecue....and it wouldn't be a true southern Barbecue without having coleslaw ON the sandwich.

My daughter is an aficionado of coleslaw, and the best one she and I ever made was in Montana when we didn't have some ingredients and we improvised, using a bit of chutney and some chopped up dill pickles, and I can't remember what else.

I will try your recipe as cream cheese as a Cuban staple....and everyone here loves it, although I don't HAVE to have it.

Jayadev said...

Aswathy, I guess we will turn into vegetables if we have too much of this stuff - because wikipedia says that Alfalfalfalafalfa (when do I stop?) is a good organic fertilizer.

Wow!

Let me check this amazing recipe which has the HC Rating!!

Btw, you know anything about the Cole guy who made this law?

Unknown said...

Just to make sure....you really mean cream cheese, right? Not sour cream? Thanks. Lisa

trueblue said...

Yes Lisa, It is Cream Cheese.. Just now made another round of this for a dinner get-together...and the bowl is empty already :)

Have a nice weeknd
-Aswathy

Mini said...

this was our favorite in last weekend's party..my hubby and myself hogged on this till the bowl was totally clean!

Unknown said...

Ok..I made it on Monday...I used cherry flavored cranberries, didn't use alfalfa (I got sick on over-the-hill ones just before my Jr. Prom....never again...), and added the cashews. For future reference, a bag of Dole coleslaw mix contains 5 cups of slaw, so you'd have to multiply the other ingredients by 5 if you use the whole package (theres not a lot of carrots in the mix, but enough). I recommend if you aren't going to use the whole amount right away to keep the cashews out and add just before you're going to serve it so you don't gett soft cashews.

I thinned it slightly with some lime juice, but I think I'll add a tad more of cider vinegar to thin next time (my daughter doesn't like hers so creamy, but it was still good).

I tried to sell it to one of my daughter's friends who is Indian....Deep has been too Ohioanized...although he is a vegetarian,cashews and cranberries in cole slaw were just a little too out there! Even after I told him it came from an Indian friend. :)

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmmmm.looks very yummy.I jst love this.not sure whether i cant get cream chesse and good mayonise here.i love the snaps u have added.is these taken by u or joe.

trueblue said...

thanks jameela, the pictures are mine :) glad you like them.

Post a Comment